Monday, March 5, 2012

Recipe: Slow cooker lazy cabbage rolls

I'm Polish so I love me some cabbage rolls. I also love my slow cooker. I am very lazy. So when I found the words "Lazy slow cooker cabbage rolls" I screamed a little bit....

Ingredients:

1/4-1/2 a head of cabbage
1lb of ground meat (any kind)
2-3 cups of tomato sauce
dried herbs, salt, pepper (optional)
1.5 cups brown rice
1-2 cups water

Tools needed:

Crockpot
Cutting board
Sharp knife
Frying pan

All the stuff gathered together waiting to become yumminess!


Brown the ground meat. I used chicken this time but you can use beef, pork or turkey if you so desire. Moms regular cabbage rolls contain a mixture of ground beef and pork.


Chop, shred, cube, or leave the cabbage in leaves, it's really up to you. I chose to corsely chop the cabbage this time. Put a layer of cabbage on the bottom of the slow cooker. However much you want... I put lots because I really love cabbage.


Pour between 1/2 and 1 cup of uncooked brown rice ontop of the cabbage.


Spread half of the ground meat over the rice and cabbage and then repeat the layers ending with some cabbage on top.

If you are using plain tomato sauce add whatever herbs and seasonings you would like. I added pepper, basil, thyme, oregano and parsely this time. If you are using a seasoned spaghetti sauce then just pour it right over everything. Add about 2 cups of water over the tomato sauce. Do not stir!


Put the lid on the slow cooker, turn it on high and leave it there for 2.5-3.5 hours.


Once all the water is absorbed and everything is nicely cooked DIG IN!


If the tomato sauce is too acidic for you you can always add a spoon or sour cream or some whipping cream into the slow cooker.

This is awesome and so much easier than regular cabbage rolls!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment