Sunday, March 11, 2012

Recipe: Coconut Banana Bread


I LOVE banana bread  to the point that I buy bananas just to let them go mushy so I can make banana bread... I have actually yelled at my husband for eating bananas... and since moving to Mexico I have become obsessed with coconut so this recipe made me drool.

Recipe inspiration from My Kitchen Addiction (HEAVILY modified based on what I had on hand)
(Makes 1 mediumish loaf and 6 muffins, or 1 large loaf)

Ingredients:

1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
scant 1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs (or 4 egg whites if watching cholesterol)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups flour (can use 1 cup of whole wheat flour if you want)
1/2 cup okara (remember that from the soymilk recipe??), or add 1/2 cup more flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 medium overripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
1 cup coconut milk
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut (or shredded coconut)
Pam to spray the pans with

Tools needed:

2 mixing bowls
 Fork
Electric mixer (optional)
Measuring cups/spoons
Loaf pan/muffin tray





Get all your stuff together. I left out one mixing bowl in the pictures... oops!


If you are using Okara blend it until it's smooth and the consistancy of flour.



Mix all your dry ingredients. Flour, Okara, Salt, Baking powder, Baking soda and coconut.


In a seperate bowl mix the oil, sugar and applesauce.



Add in the eggs and mix well.


Add in your 3 bannas and coconut milk and either smash well with a fork or...

cheat and use a mixer like me.



the finished liquid mixture will look something like this.


Add in your dry ingredients and mix to combine. It will be a nice runny mixture.


Spray the pans you'll be using with Pam and then pour the mixture in. Either fill the loaf pan 3/4 full, fill about 12 muffin cups 3/4 of the way or do what I did and do one loaf pan filled 1/2 way and 1 tray of muffins.

Almost done!!! They will be done when a toothpick comes out clean.



If you made 1/2 muffins and 1/2 loaf the muffins will be done sooner so pay attention. Mine took 35 minutes.



Cooling on the rack smelling oh so yummy!!

I don't know about you but I can't wait for muffins to cool so I dug in. Put some real butter (non of that low cal, fake stuff for me!) on it and dig in!

The loaf was done after about 1 hour

Amazingly delicious. They turned out insanely moist and rich. Next time I may leave out the sugar altogether because they are fairly sweet.


So to recap:
1. mix dry ingredients in one bowl
2. mix wet ingredients in another bowl, making sure to smash the banana well
3. mix it all together
4. Pour into pre-sprayed pans
5. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean.
6. EAT!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment